By Candida Khan. For all chocolate lovers, this is for you. I am completely obsessed with chocolate. It helps me through my bad days and hard times. Dark chocolate is my favourite. What I love to do is make my “chocolate mix”. Every day, I make a small bowl of magic and I feel better immediately. It actually has many benefits. Through research, it has been discovered that dark chocolate can help to reduce your risk of heart disease. In fact, having dark chocolate every day is beneficial to your overall health!
Here is my secret for making my “chocolate mix”:
– Find all the dark chocolate you have at home
– Break off a piece (not more than 100g chocolate)
– Put it in a small bowl. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon powder (less than 1/3 tsp)
– Melt it in the microwave for a few seconds
It really tastes amazing. I love adding some milk chocolate to it as well, with cinnamon. It is also beneficial in changing your mood. It helps your body to release endorphins which are happy hormones! This chocolate also does not spike your blood sugar like milk or white chocolate would. The dark variety has more fibre than the other chocolates and also has iron. Remember to always go with dark chocolate!
Thick and creamy dark chocolate recipe
1. Whisk together cornstarch and 1/2 cup milk until smooth.
2. Cook remaining 3 1/2 cups milk in a large, nonaluminum saucepan over medium heat until bubbles appear around edge of saucepan (about 4 minutes; do not boil). Whisk in chocolate, honey, vanilla extract, and salt until blended and smooth. Whisk in cornstarch mixture.
3. Bring milk mixture to a light boil, whisking frequently (about 4 minutes). Remove from heat. Let cool slightly. (Mixture will thicken as it cools.) Serve immediately Whipped Cream, if desired.
Spicy Hot Chocolate: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 2, whisking in 1 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon and 1 tsp. chili powder with chocolate. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Orange-Almond Hot Chocolate: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 2, whisking in 3 Tbsp. orange juice and 2 Tbsp. almond liqueur with chocolate. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Adults only Hot Chocolate: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 2, whisking in 1/2 cup Creme de Cacao with chocolate. Proceed with recipe as directed.
June 2016 – Issue 22 www.sweettntmagazine.com
You may also like: