Over the years, Covigne Road, Diego Martin, Trinidad has gained a negative reputation for being a hub for illegal activity. The Covigne Road Pigeon Peas Festival, usually held three Saturdays before Carnival, brings light to the area in 2019 with its culinary culture showcasing several delicacies made with pigeon peas such as pigeon peas cupcakes and muffins, pigeon peas wine, pigeon peas soap and even pigeon peas ice-cream. This year, the festival marked the fifth incarnation of the event hosted by the Upper Cemetery Street Residents Association or UCSRA.
How the festival came about
The hills of Diego Martin has always been known for agricultural activity. The farmers of Covigne and environs were famous for their pigeon peas which was second to the Tobago pigeon peas. With limited prospects for young residents of the area and the ability to grow what could be considered the national pea, UCSRA came up with the idea for the Pigeon Peas Festival.
Pigeon Peas is a popular daily staple in Trinidad and Tobago cooked in pelau, stewed or with coconut milk. It is the food of choice for beach and river limes, excursions and a popular street food during the festive Carnival season.
Principles of the Pigeon Peas Festival
There are four main tenants of the Pigeon Peas Festival:
- To highlight the versatility of the Pigeon Peas as a product and a driver of business activity in the community.
- To enhance the capacity and ability of the community to develop and sustain projects from within.
- To create positive niches for members of the community to use their creative skills and talents.
- To positively challenge the perception by others that Covigne is restricted to the label of being a “hot spot” for crime.
Products at the Pigeon Peas Festival
Here is a list of products found at the Pigeon Peas Festival. These are made either entirely of Pigeon Peas or have the legume incorporated into the recipe for surprisingly delicious results.
Pigeon Peas Wine
Pigeon Peas Punch de Creme
Pigeon Peas Fudge
Baked Carailli Skins with Cheese and Pigeon Peas
Baked Potato Stuffed with Pigeon Peas
Pigeon Peas Flour
Saltfish Accra made with Pigeon Peas Flour
Pigeon Peas Fruit Cake with Rum Soaked Pigeon Peas
Pigeon Peas Sweet Bread
Pigeon Peas Pholourie
Pigeon Peas Cupcakes and Muffins
Pigeon Peas Plait Bread
Pigeon Peas Soaps
Pigeon Peas Pelau Recipe
- 1 cup Pigeon Peas (green or dried)
- 2 cups rice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb seasoned meat of your choice cubed small (or soya chunks)
- 1 cup pumpkin diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper (optional)
- Place a pot on a medium heat then add the oil, after the oil becomes hot add the sugar. Wait for mixture to become caramelised. This should take 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the meat of choice and mix until all the pieces are fully coated.
- Reduce flame, cover and allow to cook on low heat for 15 to 30 minutes or until meat or soya is tender.
- Place onion, garlic, rice and mix well and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add Pigeon Peas or any other vegetables you like and combine.
- Add coconut milk, salt, black pepper and scotch bonnet pepper.
- Stir well, cover and cook until the rice is tender about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy with a side of coleslaw.
Pigeon Peas Festival 2019 photos
You may also like:
THE STARTER RITUAL SET Nourishing for Normal to Dry Skin $68 ($92 value)
Discover the ritual for normal to dry skin. This two-week introductory set nourishes and hydrates skin for youthful radiance. Now with The Silk Peony eye cream, this set of essentials cares for your complexion deeply and fully.
THE STARTER RITUAL SET Pore-perfecting for Normal to Oily Skin $68 ($82 value)
Discover the ritual for normal to oily skin. This two-week introductory set helps minimize excess oil while preserving natural moisture. Now with The Silk Peony eye cream, this set cares for your complexion deeply and fully.
AVOCADO GREEN MATTRESS
America’s #1 rated natural mattress features GOLS organic certified latex, GOTS organic certified wool, GOTS organic certified cotton, and up to 1,414 pocketed support coils arranged in 5 zones. No polyester, polyurethane foams, or toxic fire retardants. Hand-tufted, not glued. Vegan? Explore our Vegan Mattress made without wool.