If you are looking for a healthy substitute for regular cow’s milk either to lose weight or because you may be lactose intolerant, then almond milk may be the way to go. Here is a simple easy-to-follow recipe to ensure that you get the best almond milk that money can buy.
Almond milk recipe
Estimated preparation time: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 litre
Soak almonds in 2 cups cold water and refrigerate overnight.
Pour into blender remaining cold water, soaked almonds and essence.
Cover blender and puree the milk.
Serve for breakfast with cereal, coffee or just like that.
How to use almond milk
Just like regular milk, almond milk can be used in many ways, here are a few of them:
- Splash it over your cereal instead of regular milk
- Add it to your coffee or tea
- Mix it in smoothies
- Make a dairy-free rice pudding or ice cream
- Use it in soups, sauces and salad dressings
- Use it as a milk replacement in many baked foods
For those who are prone to kidney stones, almond milk should not be consumed in excessive amounts. This is because of its calcium oxalate content, which is generally higher when it is homemade. Credit (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26382627)
Some people are also concerned about carrageenan, a thickener used in some store-bought almond milk products known to cause inflammation which can lead to ulcerations and bleeding in some cases. Credit (http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/carrageenan-natural-ingredient-you-should-ban-your-diet)
There are many reasons why you may be looking for a suitable milk substitute. Almond milk fills the void even if your reasons are for health, weight loss or as part of a vegan diet. It is just as versatile as cow’s milk and almost as nutritious. Here are some of the benefits:
- It may reduce the risk of heart disease
- It is high in Vitamin D which may strengthen bones
- When used unsweetened it doesn’t raise blood sugar
- It is low in calories
- It is high in Vitamin E which is essential for healthy eyes, skin, hair and immune system
January 2017 www.sweettntmagazine.com
You may also like: