We know that raisins are obtained by drying grapes. They are delicious as is and taste great when you add them to your favourite foods. They are one of the principle ingredients in the local favourites Coconut Sweetbread and Coconut Drops. Also, they are very good for you with numerous health benefits that are listed below. Enjoy this quick and easy Raisins Bread recipe for you to add some healthy raisins to your diet every day of the week and not just as a snack or dessert.
Estimated preparation time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Estimated cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves 9×5-inch
Raisins Bread recipe
1 cup raisins
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 package (¼ ounce) active dry yeast
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 ½ cup warm water
Stir 1 cup warm water, 2 cups sugar and yeast in a large bowl.
Whisk eggs, ½ cup milk and ¾ tablespoon butter into mixture.
Mix in raisins, essence, salt and oil.
Add the baking powder and flour ½ cup at a time while kneading the dough until smooth and firm.
Place dough in a greased mixing bowl, cover with cloth and let rise for 1 hour.
Cut dough in 2 pieces and spread them out with a rolling pin or bottle on a lightly floured surface.
Roll the ends of each piece of dough into 2 loaves.
Mix remaining ½ cup milk and 1 tablespoon sugar and brush mixture on surface of dough.
Place loaves into greased baking pans.
Let dough rise for another hour.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes until loaves are lightly browned.
Remove loaves from pans and brush the top with remaining butter.
Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
Raisins Bread health benefits
- Digestion and constipation: Raisins are loaded with fiber, which effectively provide relief from constipation. Regular intake of raisins bread would help regularise bowel movement.
- Anemia: Raisins are a rich source of iron and copper as well as B complex vitamins which are vital for the formation of red blood cells. Regular consumption of raisins bread helps with iron deficiency anemia.
- Fever: Raisins are abundant in phenolic phytochemicals, which are known for their germicidal, antibacterial, and antioxidant properties. They can help cure fever by fighting viral and bacterial infections.
- Cancer: Raisins contain high levels of polyphenolic antioxidants called catechins. These antioxidants scavenge the free radicals that cause the development of tumors, especially colon cancer. Thus, eating raisins bread is an effective way of preventing the formation of cancer cells.
- Acidity: Raisins contain potassium and magnesium, which help reduce acidity. Acidosis is an abnormal metabolic condition characterized by toxicity of blood which, often gives rise to gases in the respiratory system. This condition is harmful as it can lead to boils, skin diseases, arthritis, gout, renal calculi, hair loss, heart disease and even cancer. Potassium and magnesium are important components of antacids. Being considered bases on the pH scale, they help in neutralising the acids, thus preventing acidosis.
- Eye Health: The polyphenolic phytonutrients contained in raisins are good for ocular health as they protect your eyes from damage by free radicals, thus preventing macular degeneration, cataracts and age related weakening of vision. They also contain significant amounts of beta carotene, vitamin A and carotenoids which improve eyesight and keep your eyes pure and sharp.
- Dental Health: Raisins contain a phytochemical called oleanolic acid which provides protection against tooth decay, cavities and teeth brittleness. It inhibits the growth of bacterial species Streptococcus Mutans and Porphyromonas Gingivalis which cause cavities and other dental problems. Besides, raisins are rich in calcium which prevents breaking or peeling away of teeth and enamel and makes them stronger. Boron present in raisins prevents the growth of germs as well as whitens the teeth.
- Energy Booster: Being loaded with carbs, particularly natural sugars like fructose and glucose, raisins are a good source of energy. They facilitate efficient absorption of vitamins, proteins and other nutrients in the body. They are often consumed by body builders and athletes to provide a quick boost of energy.
- Insomnia: Iron in raisins is beneficial in treating insomnia as it improves the quality of sleep in an individual.
- Hypertension: Raisins are rich in iron, potassium, antioxidants and B-complex vitamins, which help to maintain normal blood pressure. The high level of potassium, in particular, reduces the tension of blood vessels and decreases blood pressure naturally while the dietary fibre affects the biochemistry of blood vessels and reduces their stiffness, thus lowering hypertension. The high level of potassium and absence of sodium make raisins ideal food for a heart-healthy diet.
- Bone Health: Raisins contain calcium, which is the main element of our bones. It helps strengthen bones and promotes bone growth. They are also one of the best sources of boron, a micronutrient that is required by the body in small amounts. This micronutrient is vital for bone formation and calcium absorption. It is particularly beneficial in preventing menopause induced osteoporosis in women as well as strengthens bones and joints.
- Heart Health: Regular consumption of raisins provides protection against heart disease. By lowering cholesterol as well as triglyceride levels, raisins improve the overall condition of your heart, thus lowering the risk of strokes, hypertension and heart attack.
- Kidney Health: Since raisins are rich in potassium, consuming them regularly prevents the formation as well as recurrence of kidney stones.
- Weight: Raisins, when eaten in proportion and combined with physical exercise, can aid in weight loss. The high fibre content in raisins keeps you full for a longer time. Raisins are particularly beneficial for underweight people who wish to gain weight in a healthy way. They are high in natural sugars, fructose and glucose, which can help in weight gain without raising the cholesterol levels.
- Sexual Dysfunction: Raisins are known to stimulate sexuality. This natural aphrodisiac property is attributed to the presence of an amino acid called arginine, which can stimulate the libido and induce arousal. It can be beneficial in treating erectile dysfunction as well as increasing sperm motility and chances of conception. Regular consumption of raisins have been known to cure issues of sexual endurance.
- Clear Skin: Being loaded with antioxidants, raisins help to maintain healthy and glowing skin. They contain resveratrol, a powerful antioxidant that slows down the ageing of the skin cells. Raisins purify your blood by eliminating toxic and black cells; and improve the formation of red blood cells by supplying oxygen to your skin. These blood purifying properties of raisins make your skin clear, radiant, nourished, and beautiful.
- Healthy Hair: Raisins are a good source of iron, vitamin B complex, potassium and antioxidant, which play an important role in making your hair healthy, shiny and nourished. Consuming raisins regularly can also help reduce hair fall and prevent baldness.
January 2018 www.sweettntmagazine.com
You may also like: