By Felesha Parboo. The mouth-watering aroma of bread being baked in an oven can mesmerise anyone. Especially if it is being served with ham and pepper sauce or even baked chicken. I decided to make my own hops bread because lately, the baking company has raised the prices of bread. The white sliced bread is now $12.75, while the whole wheat one is $13.75 and a big butter bread is priced at $7.00.
As a Trinidadian it is much simpler to go to the parlour close by and purchase a bread rather than kneading flour and baking that same kind of bread for a few hours before it is ready to eat. I had the time and ingredients needed to make a few plain hops bread and some with sesame seeds for my husband. I didn’t want to spend so much money on such a little bit of bread by the shop.
I called my mother and she gave me the recipes she used to make her breads. Honestly, after trying to make it, I thought it would have been hard like a rock being my first try but surprisingly, it was perfect. It came out soft and fluffy like a marshmellow and my husband couldn’t get enough. He ate one immediately as it came out of the oven with baked chicken. It was delicious.
My mom’s all-time famous hops bread recipe:
– 1 1/2 cups warm water
– 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
– 2 tablespoons white sugar
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 4 cups bread flour
– In a large bowl, stir together warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
– To the yeast mixture, add the oil, salt, and 2 cups flour. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
– Deflate the dough, and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces, and form into round balls. Place on lightly greased baking sheets at least 2 inches apart. Cover the rolls with a damp cloth, and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F/ 200 degrees C.
– Bake for 18 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.
My mom’s all-time famous hops sesame seed bread recipe:
– 8 cups of flour
– 1/2 cup white sugar
– 1/2 cup powdered milk
– 1 tablespoon salt
– 3 eggs
– 1 packet instant yeast
– 2 1/2 cups warm water
– 8 tablespoons butter softened
– Mix all dry ingredients, make a well in the middle and add egg and water. Knead for 15 minutes.
– Lightly oil a bowl and place dough in bowl. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
– Break off the size of dough you want and place on a baking sheet and allow to rise again.
– Brush with egg and sprinkle sesame seeds.
– Bake until golden brown about 30 mins at 180 C.
– It could be a little longer or shorter based on your oven, so bake until golden brown.
Then enjoy. Serve with ham and some tasty pepper sauce or anything you desire. You will never want to buy bread again.
December 2015 – Issue 19 www.sweettntmagazine.com
Are you looking for professional and affordable classes for yourself or your child? Sign up using our form below. We at Study Zone Institute, specialise in helping students to improve their grades in a short period. Our pre-Covid-19 prices remain the same. We are located at #73 Eastern Main Road …
The best place to get a flat stomach, lose a few pounds or just to keep that body tight and nicely shaped. Over 100,000 satisfied customers.
You may also like:
- Trying my hand at roti
- Homemade vegetarian bread in under 60 minutes
- Granny’s homemade coconut sweetbread
- Banana bread quick and easy recipe
This body shaper covers your entire body to instantly reduce it back to size. Adjustable sticker at waist allow you to compress your tummy at your own comfort level and adjust the level as it gets smaller. Designed with a high back to correct your back shape.