When most people hear the term “Brian Lara Cricket” the first thing that comes to mind is the champion batsman and former captain of the West Indies Cricket slapping a ball for six in the Queen’s Park Oval. Brian Lara has the distinction of not only being one of the greatest cricketers of all time but also having a series of games named after him. The series was simply named Brian Lara Cricket.
Brief look at Brian Lara’s professional cricket career
- Trinidad and Tobago’s youngest ever captain, at the age 20 in 1990
- highest individual score in first-class cricket – with 501 not out for Warwickshire against Durham at Edgbaston in 1994
- the only quintuple-hundred in first-class cricket – for Warwickshire against Durham at Edgbaston in 1994
- the Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World awards in 1994 and 1995
- the record of scoring the highest number of runs in a single over in a Test match when he scored 28 runs off an over by Robin Peterson of South Africa in 2003
- highest individual score in a Test innings – 400 not out against England at Antigua in 2004
- was appointed honorary member of the Order of Australia on November 27, 2009
- was inducted to the ICC’s Hall of Fame on September 14, 2012
- Honorary Life Membership of the MCC in 2013
- playing in the second-highest number of test matches (63)
- Brian Lara’s Wikipedia Page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Lara
- Brian Lara’s full stats and biography https://www.espncricinfo.com/player/brian-lara-52337
Brian Lara Cricket the game
Brian Lara Cricket the game was released in 1998 for both PlayStation and PC. It was released in Oceana and Europe, two regions where cricket is very popular. Brian Lara Cricket would have looked amazing for the time when it was first released. It is more than 20 years old at the time of this article, so viewing game footage now would have to be done in the context of when the games were originally released.
This was not Lara’s first game either, the above mentioned was a sequel to Brian Lara 96 Cricket for the SEGA Mega Drive system or SEGA Genesis in some countries. There would be 2 more sequels, Brian Lara International Cricket 2005 and Brian Lara International Cricket 2007 both for the PlayStation 2. This would indicate that the games were popular enough and sold well enough to warrant making subsequent versions.
The Cricket simulator
Brian Lara Cricket is essentially a cricket simulator, and did the job well. Unfortunately, this would have meant that it appealed to only 2 groups of people, die hard cricket fans who don’t mind playing a virtual Test match and collectors of Brian Lara memorabilia. This would also explain why it was not released or marketed in the west, and why most people have not heard of it.
Brian Lara Cricket (1998 video game) details
Series: Brian Lara Cricket
Platform(s): PlayStation, Microsoft Windows
AU: December 8, 1998
EU: December 8, 1998
Mode(s): Single player, multiplayer
Brian Lara Cricket, released as Shane Warne Cricket ’99 in Australia and New Zealand, is a 1998 PlayStation and PC cricket game, endorsed by West Indian cricketer Brian Lara, produced by Codemasters, and the sequel to Brian Lara Cricket ’96.
Read more – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Lara_Cricket_(1998_video_game)
If you have watched a game of cricket, the old school kind, the one where both teams wear white and a single “Test Match” or game can last as long as 5 days, you know how slow the pace of the game can be. For this reason, the developers have added a feature that allows you to speed up the pace. The “x” button is also used for running so it would lead to some unintended consequences during gameplay.
Brian Lara Cricket Game footage
Where to buy Brian Lara Cricket
We have gotten a hold of a copy of Brian Lara Cricket and played so that you can see what the game looked and played like.
Sony PlayStation 5 Digital Edition Console
PS5™ Digital Edition is an all-digital version of the PS5™ console with no disc drive. Sign into your account for PlayStation Network and go to PlayStation®Store to buy and download games.*
Sony PlayStation 5 Console
- Ultra-High Speed SSD
- Integrated I/O
- Ray Tracing
- 4K-TV Gaming
- Up to 120fps with 120Hz output
- HDR Technology
- 8K Output
- Tempest 3D AudioTech
- Haptic Feedback
- Adaptive Triggers
Every month in 2023 we will be giving away one PlayStation 5. To qualify join our Facebook group, TikTok and Subscribe to our Sweet TnT Magazine YouTube channel
When you buy something through our retail links, we may earn commission and the retailer may receive certain auditable data for accounting purposes.
You may also like:
Relive your childhood with Retro Freak
Best exercise games for PS, Xbox, Wii, Switch, Sega for complete workout
5 Amazing tactics to get more Instagram followers
Exercise equipment designed for home use
Successful entrepreneur: Schedule your day right
Galaxy S21 | S21+ | S21 Ultra
5G6.8-inch Display From $599.99ᶿ
6.7-inch Display From $399.99ᶿ
6.2-inch Display From $199.99ᶿ
You must log in to post a comment.