Try this fast and easy recipe for saltfish buljol and serve with coconut bake, homemade bread or boiled provision and sliced avocado pear.
1⁄2 lb salt cod fish, boneless
1⁄2 cup tomatoes, chopped
1⁄2 onion, chopped
1⁄3 cup sweet pepper, chopped
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pimento peppers (optional)
1⁄2 scotch bonnet peppers (optional)
1⁄2 lime (optional)
Method for saltfish buljol
Place in saucepan with water and boil for approximately 10 minutes, then drain in a colander.
You may taste the fish at this point to check salt content.
If you find it is too salty, repeat the first step.
Shred fish with your fingers.
Add shredded salted fish to all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
That’s it quick and easy.
Check out our recipes for coconut bake and homemade bread.
August 2017 www.sweettntmagazine.com
You may also like:
- Green fig and beetroot punch recipes
- Grab a glass of almond milk
- Fish broth a remedy for almost anything
- Avocado or Zaboca Toast for breakfast
- Veggie wraps for the entire family
- Enjoy vegetarian patties in 40 minutes
- Banana fritters a breakfast favorite
- Flourless rolled oats pancakes for diabetics
- Cucumber sandwiches for lunch
- Try a fruit salad with five fingers or starfruit
Smoked herring recipe
1 pack smoked herring fillets
3 pimento peppers
2 cloves garlic
5 leaves chadon beni chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
Method for smoked herring
Boil the smoked herring fillets.
Clean and remove as many bones as possible, it is impossible to get them all so just concentrate on the larger ones.
As you are removing the bones break up the fillets into small pieces.
Now, dice up the tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, garlic, pimentos, chives and chadon beni, then add them to the smoked herring.
Add olive oil and mix.
Smoked herring goes well just with some bread as a sandwich, or with some provisions.