Lights and decorations can cause fires
During the seasons of Christmas and Divali it is customary to celebrate with lights, from the string of electrical Christmas lights to the calming fires of deyas. Sweet TnT Magazine shares a few simple tips that can prevent fires during any festive season:
– Whether you are lighting indoors or outside, use only lights that have been tested for safety. Identify these by the label from an independent testing laboratory, i.e. TTBS – Trinidad and Tobago Bureau of Standards or UL – Underwriters’ Laboratories.
– If reusing lights from previous years, carefully inspect for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections.
– If damaged lights are found discard and replace with a new set of lights.
– Fasten outdoor lights securely to trees, house, walls, or other firm support structures to protect from wind damage.
– Use no more than three standard-sized sets of lights per single extension cord.
– Turn off all lights on trees and other decorations when you go to bed, or leave the house. Lights could short and start a fire.
– Never use electric lights on a metallic tree. The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights, and any person touching a branch could be electrocuted!
– Overloaded electric outlets and faulty wires are the most common causes of holiday fires in residences. These types of fires can be just as dangerous with an artificial tree.
– Never overload outlets, read safety instructions on how best to use your specific outlet. If instructions are not readily available, consult an electrician.
– Keep Christmas trees and any other electrically powered Christmas decorations away from curtains and drapes or any other type of material that could possibly act as an ignition point for a fire.
You may also like: