Dockers Crew chef cooks up a storm at Iron Pot Curry Duck Cookout in south Trinidad. A young lady at the event enjoys the delicious “curry duck” that Trinbagonians can’t resist. The curried duck is usually full of salty and spicy flavours that make eaters crave for more. “Curry duck” may be eaten with a roti dish combined of dhalpuri, channa, potato, pumpkin, mango, bodi, and bhaji. Some may eat it with dumplings. Others may serve it as “cutters” when liming and drinking alcohol. Have it any way you like, it’s yummy!
Curry duck recipe
1-3 kilograms duck, (or an equivalent amount meat) dressed and cut into bite sized pieces.
1-bundle of fresh chives (or about 1 and a half cup chopped chives.)
2-hot scotch bonnet peppers
3-teaspoons curry powder
1-teaspoon amchar masala
1-teaspoon roasted ground geera
half teaspoon ground black pepper
1-bundle of cilantro
- Thoroughly clean and wash the duck meat, remove any small feathers and set a side to allow the excess water to drain out of the meat.
- In a blender combine the garlic, chives, cilantro, shadon beni and peppers with a half cup of water, blend until smooth.
- Put meat into a large stainless steel bowl.
- Add the ground seasoning from the blender inclusive of the liquid.
- Add to the meat: 1 tsp amchar masala, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp geera, 1 tsp yellow curry.
- Mix the meat thoroughly to ensure it becomes coated with the mixture. Splash on a dash of aromatic bitters, allow the meat to marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Heat the oil in a curved base heavy cast iron pot rather than a flat based frying pan type pot.
- When the oil starts to simmer add one clove of peeled, whole garlic to the oil. Allow the garlic to fry until it blackens… do not remove.
- Add the meat, reserve the marinade.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 40 minutes.
- Combine the remaining ingredients including the coconut cream with the rest of the marinade and add to the pot after the first 2o minutes of cooking. Adjust salt to taste. More pepper can be added if desired.
From start to finish, this recipe takes approximately 2 hours. Happy eating.
November 2012 – Issue 2 www.sweettntmagazine.com
You may also like: